Many people are depressed, I think, because they fear that our current enemies are too fanatical to be stopped. This is why suicide bombers are so horrifying. But the reality is that there have always been a great many people willing to die, as well as kill, for their beliefs. That is a constant through history. Japan’s kamikaze bombers are one obvious example out of many. A Japanese person piloting an airplane today could easily fly it into a ship, if he were willing to die; the difference today is that no one wants to die for the cause of Japanese imperialism. Why? Because Japanese imperialism was defeated. Once Islamofascism has been crushed militarily, the supply of suicide bombers (and terrorists generally) will dry up quickly.
The Power Line Picks
Most Read on Power Line
- Thoughts on the Ritual Now Taking Place in Ferguson, Missouri
- This Is Who Texas Democrats Are Defending
- Report: More than a dozen witnesses say Brown attacked officer [UPDATED]
- Was David Gregory fired for being "pro-Israel"?
- Breaking: Nuclear Sabotage in Europe?
- A window opens onto the left-wing mind
Subscribe to Power Line by Email
Find us on Facebook
“Arise and take our stand for freedom as in the olden time.” Winston Churchill
“Proclaim Liberty throughout All the land unto All the Inhabitants Thereof.” Inscription on the Liberty Bell