Many people are depressed, I think, because they fear that our current enemies are too fanatical to be stopped. This is why suicide bombers are so horrifying. But the reality is that there have always been a great many people willing to die, as well as kill, for their beliefs. That is a constant through history. Japan’s kamikaze bombers are one obvious example out of many. A Japanese person piloting an airplane today could easily fly it into a ship, if he were willing to die; the difference today is that no one wants to die for the cause of Japanese imperialism. Why? Because Japanese imperialism was defeated. Once Islamofascism has been crushed militarily, the supply of suicide bombers (and terrorists generally) will dry up quickly.
Most Read on Power Line
- The Week in Pictures: Crimea River Edition
- More Proof That Liberals Are Humorless Losers
- Exclusive to Power Line: Koch Industries Responds to New York Times Smears
- Latest News on the Climate Change Collapse
- Rand Paul: Did an Old Prejudice Rear Its Head In His CPAC Speech?
- In search of an honest liberal
Subscribe to Power Line by Email
Find us on Facebook
“Arise and take our stand for freedom as in the olden time.” Winston Churchill
“Proclaim Liberty throughout All the land unto All the Inhabitants Thereof.” Inscription on the Liberty Bell