This afternoon the US Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit released a decision holding the daily recitation of the pledge of allegiance in a public school classroom to be unconstitutional with respect to its reference to the United States being “one nation under God.” This decision is absurd. The first two of the founding laws of the United States are the Declaration of Independence and the Constitution of the United States. The Declaration invokes God in manifold capacities including as Nature’s God, as Creator who endows man with unalienable rights, as Supreme Judge of the World and as Author of Divine Providence. The Constitution concludes above the signature of George Washington and the founding fathers that it was “Done in Convention…in the year of our Lord one thousand seven hundred and Eighty seven.” How long will it be before the Declaration and the Constitution are declared unconstitutional?
Most Read on Power Line
- Should We Feel Sorry for Obama?
- The Democrats Try To Shut Their Opponents Up (Cont.)
- Breaking: Obamacare Takes Torpedo Below the Water Line
- The Nutroots Are Worried, And We Have the Answer
- What's next after Obamacare's defeat in Halbig v. Burwell? [updated]
- Pro bono law morphs into left-wing lawfare
Subscribe to Power Line by Email
Find us on Facebook
“Arise and take our stand for freedom as in the olden time.” Winston Churchill
“Proclaim Liberty throughout All the land unto All the Inhabitants Thereof.” Inscription on the Liberty Bell