One thing about the 9th Circuit, you can’t accuse them of playing to the gallery. It would be hard to think of a worse time (not that there would ever be a good time) to declare the Pledge unconstitutional. Fourth of July next week, September 11 fresh in our memories, etc. Even Tom Daschle felt obliged to denounce the decision. It will undoubtedly be reversed, either by the Circuit en banc or by the Supreme Court, but I think it will have significant repercussions. For one thing, how can the Democrats continue to feign grave concern when they talk about Republican judicial nominees being “out of the mainstream”? That particular strategy would appear to be history. Emails to Patrick Leahy and Daschle wouldn’t hurt.
The Power Line Picks
Most Read on Power Line
- Thoughts on the Ritual Now Taking Place in Ferguson, Missouri
- This Is Who Texas Democrats Are Defending
- Was David Gregory fired for being "pro-Israel"?
- Report: More than a dozen witnesses say Brown attacked officer [UPDATED]
- The Week in Pictures: Quel Horreur! Edition
- Breaking: Nuclear Sabotage in Europe?
Subscribe to Power Line by Email
Find us on Facebook
“Arise and take our stand for freedom as in the olden time.” Winston Churchill
“Proclaim Liberty throughout All the land unto All the Inhabitants Thereof.” Inscription on the Liberty Bell