If you’re depressed about the market, you might cheer yourself up by reading Trollope’s The Way We Live Now. Don’t be put off if you see a book jacket or introductory essay characterizing it as an indictment of “capitalism” (i.e., life). It isn’t; it’s a great book, with a couple of stock promoters who would be right at home today, right up to the tragic denouement. The “New Economy” of the time was a railroad from Salt Lake City to Mexico City which, however, no one actually intended to build. I guess that’s a distinction.
Most Read on Power Line
- Best. Supreme Court. Brief. Ever.
- More Proof That Liberals Are Humorless Losers
- As Obama Delays Obamacare Again, Julie Boonstra Strikes Back
- Exclusive to Power Line: Koch Industries Responds to New York Times Smears
- The Week in Pictures: Crimea River Edition
- Latest News on the Climate Change Collapse
Subscribe to Power Line by Email
Find us on Facebook
“Arise and take our stand for freedom as in the olden time.” Winston Churchill
“Proclaim Liberty throughout All the land unto All the Inhabitants Thereof.” Inscription on the Liberty Bell