If you’re depressed about the market, you might cheer yourself up by reading Trollope’s The Way We Live Now. Don’t be put off if you see a book jacket or introductory essay characterizing it as an indictment of “capitalism” (i.e., life). It isn’t; it’s a great book, with a couple of stock promoters who would be right at home today, right up to the tragic denouement. The “New Economy” of the time was a railroad from Salt Lake City to Mexico City which, however, no one actually intended to build. I guess that’s a distinction.
- Subscribe now!... Get rid of ADs!Support Power Line...VIP MembershipPresentsPower Line
Most Read on Power Line
- Another reason why Hillary Clinton does not deserve to be president
- Is Hillary's Glass Jaw Starting to Crack Already?
- Washington Post Attacks Rubio: He's Not Rich!
- Delusional White House Calls ISIS Strategy "A Success"
- This Week's Energy Unicorn
- Paging Dr. Emily Litella: Another Science Fraud Exposed
Subscribe to Power Line by Email
Find us on Facebook
“Arise and take our stand for freedom as in the olden time.” Winston Churchill
“Proclaim Liberty throughout All the land unto All the Inhabitants Thereof.” Inscription on the Liberty Bell