I took my two youngest daughters to the Twins game this afternoon. The Twins are playing in a zone right now that makes them great fun to watch. Their starting pitcher today was Johan Santana, who I do not believe made the team out of spring training. Santana gave up two hits in eight innings while striking out 14 Blue Jays (I think). Guardado pitched the ninth and gave up a hit but recorded another strikeout. Twins win 4-0, the last run being on a homerun rocket by Torii Hunter, the most exciting player on the team this year. As a practical matter the Twins clinched their division about two weeks ago and seem to be playing for the right to have the home edge in the playoffs.
During the seventh inning stretch they played “I’m Proud to be an American” (is it by Lee Greenwood?); more fans sang along with it than sang along with “Take Me Out to the Ballgame.” Question: What does country music have in common with baseball? Hint: think Rick Monday. Answer: the patriotism of its players and fans.
- Subscribe now!... Get rid of ADs!Support Power Line...VIP MembershipPresentsPower Line
2016 Power Line Picks
Most Read on Power Line
- Slain Charlotte man had lengthy criminal record
- Meet the black Charlotte police officer who shot Keith Lamont Scott
- Hillary: The Third World Has a "Right" to Move to the United States
- There's something about Hillary's eyes
- Under investigation [With Comment By John]
- "Basket of deplorables," David Brock edition
Subscribe to Power Line by Email
Find us on Facebook
“Arise and take our stand for freedom as in the olden time.” Winston Churchill
“Proclaim Liberty throughout All the land unto All the Inhabitants Thereof.” Inscription on the Liberty Bell