Terry Eastland’s piece on the Weekly Standard’s web page reports on a federal class action lawsuit challenging the federal government’s affirmative action program regarding its own employees. Eastland demonstrates the cynicism and absurdity of that program. Bill Clinton promised to “mend” affirmative action. Yet, the government apparently has preferred minority candidates over better qualified whtes where the overall representation of the minority group in the relevant job category was one-tenth of one percent less than what the bureaucrats deemed, based on census-type data, to be the “proper” level. To do so, the law requires these officials to find such slight differences a “manifest imbalance.” This turns out to be no obstacle for the government. At least until the class action suit is decided.
Most Read on Power Line
- The Week in Pictures: Crimea River Edition
- More Proof That Liberals Are Humorless Losers
- Exclusive to Power Line: Koch Industries Responds to New York Times Smears
- Latest News on the Climate Change Collapse
- Rand Paul: Did an Old Prejudice Rear Its Head In His CPAC Speech?
- Poll contains good news and bad news for Democrats [With Comment on Hillary By John]
Subscribe to Power Line by Email
Find us on Facebook
“Arise and take our stand for freedom as in the olden time.” Winston Churchill
“Proclaim Liberty throughout All the land unto All the Inhabitants Thereof.” Inscription on the Liberty Bell