CONTRACT THIS: Amid the more serious events of the day, it is appropriate to take a moment to congratulate the Minnesota Twins, who clinched their division title today. After an off-season in which their franchise was threatened with extinction by an owner who preferred to volunteer for contraction–entailing a $250 million payment by major league baseball–rather than sell to a competitive bidder for, say, $150 million, the Twins never gave up. In the end, they put together enough great fielding, deep pitching and timely hitting to win their division. Minnesotans have visions of 1987 and 1991 dancing in their heads. Soon it will be the postseason, and anything is possible. This is the kind of story that explains why sports have such a hold on the American imagination.
- Subscribe now!... Get rid of ADs!Support Power Line...VIP MembershipPresentsPower Line
Most Read on Power Line
- House committee document could mean trouble for anti-Trump "deep statists"
- Bombshell: Simpson Admits Fusion GPS Went to the Press to Salvage Hillary's Campaign
- Schumer Flees From Tom Cotton
- The Week in Pictures: Pod People Edition
- White House issues tough statement on "Schumer Shutdown"
- A Primer on the "Government Shutdown"
Subscribe to Power Line by Email
Find us on Facebook
“Arise and take our stand for freedom as in the olden time.” Winston Churchill
“Proclaim Liberty throughout All the land unto All the Inhabitants Thereof.” Inscription on the Liberty Bell