Michelle Malkin is a great favorite of Power Line, especially for her efforts on immigration issues. In this piece, she notes that no one seems to know how old accused sniper John Lee Malvo really is. This uncertainty points to a basic problem in our immigration system. As Malkin explains, minors who enter the U.S. illegally qualify for exemption from immediate deportation. They are automatically released to any family member living in the U.S. pending deportation hearings that often do not occur for many months. How does the INS determine the age of illegal immigrants who claim to be minors? According to Malkin, INS policy calls for the use of dental records and wrist bone X-rays. But liberal advocacy groups have attacked these tests as inhumane. One such group is the Northwest Immigrants Rights Project, which came to Malvo’s aid when he was in INS custody. So what Malkin wants to know is, how did INS verify Malvo’s age “before sending him on his merry way.”
- Subscribe now!... Get rid of ADs!Support Power Line...VIP MembershipPresentsPower Line
Most Read on Power Line
- Treason of the Professors [Updated]
- Has Hillary Clinton created a national security disaster?
- Washington Post offers glimpses of Hillary's legal jeopardy
- How much smokier can a gun get?
- Hillary's Email Scandal? Rush Limbaugh Made Her Do It! [Updated]
- Hillary Staffer to Plead the Fifth on Email Server
Subscribe to Power Line by Email
Find us on Facebook
“Arise and take our stand for freedom as in the olden time.” Winston Churchill
“Proclaim Liberty throughout All the land unto All the Inhabitants Thereof.” Inscription on the Liberty Bell