Rocket Man, you are largely correct that the American media have failed to acknowledge the extent of European support for our policy on Iraq. Here is an exception, though — a column in the Washington Post by Anne Applebaum. She lists the same countries cited by the Daily Telegraph as supporting President Bush. She also notes that these are all countries that have undergone, or are undergoing, economic liberalization, privatization, and labor market reforms, and countries that resent French and German domination of Europe. Applebaum does not deny that there is substantial anti-American sentiment in most of these countries, but she still views them as a counter-weight to Germany and France, and concludes that the strident language emanating from the “Axis of Weasels” may be a sign of waning influence, rather than growing strength.
The Power Line Picks
Most Read on Power Line
- Thoughts on the Ritual Now Taking Place in Ferguson, Missouri
- This Is Who Texas Democrats Are Defending
- Was David Gregory fired for being "pro-Israel"?
- Report: More than a dozen witnesses say Brown attacked officer [UPDATED]
- The Week in Pictures: Quel Horreur! Edition
- Breaking: Nuclear Sabotage in Europe?
Subscribe to Power Line by Email
Find us on Facebook
“Arise and take our stand for freedom as in the olden time.” Winston Churchill
“Proclaim Liberty throughout All the land unto All the Inhabitants Thereof.” Inscription on the Liberty Bell