Read this column by Cal Thomas in conjunction with the story below about home-schooling. Thomas reports on the inability of New York City public schools to teach students to read. According to Thomas, 60 to 70 percent of black and Hispanic children in New York City are illiterate. Percentages one-third that large would be disgraceful. Referring to the bumper sticker that says “If you can read this, thank a teacher,” Thomas asks who one should thank if one cannot read. Teachers’ unions, education bureaucrats, and Democratic politicians would be my leading candidates.
- Subscribe now!... Get rid of ADs!Support Power Line...VIP MembershipPresentsPower Line
Most Read on Power Line
- Durham D.A. admits ideology will influence his prosecutorial discretion
- The media can't help but help Trump
- New York Times Applauds Far-Left Violence
- Munchin' on Mnuchin
- Google Teaming With Left-Wing Groups to Drive Conservatives Off the Internet?
- U.S. Civil Rights Commission wants no enemies on the left
Subscribe to Power Line by Email
Find us on Facebook
“Arise and take our stand for freedom as in the olden time.” Winston Churchill
“Proclaim Liberty throughout All the land unto All the Inhabitants Thereof.” Inscription on the Liberty Bell