Here, courtesy of Real Clear Politics, is Daniel Pipes’ piece in the New York Post calling on the U.S. to select a “democratically-minded strongman” to rule Iraq. Pipes cites Ataturk in Turkey and Chiang Kai-shek in Taiwan as models. This solution makes sense if, as Pipes believes, the alternative is an Iranian-style militant Islamic state. But, with all respect to Pipes who is far better informed on these matters than almost anyone, this belief strikes me as premature at this point.
- Subscribe now!... Get rid of ADs!Support Power Line...VIP MembershipPresentsPower Line
2016 Power Line Picks
Most Read on Power Line
- There's something about Hillary's health
- Meet the black Charlotte police officer who shot Keith Lamont Scott
- Our under-incarceration problem, Charlotte edition
- How's the Coverup Going, Hillary?
- Mark Cuban and Gennifer Flowers to Square Off at Monday's Debate? [with comment by Paul]
- What the NFL Can Teach Washington About Social Policy
Subscribe to Power Line by Email
Find us on Facebook
“Arise and take our stand for freedom as in the olden time.” Winston Churchill
“Proclaim Liberty throughout All the land unto All the Inhabitants Thereof.” Inscription on the Liberty Bell