Here, courtesy of Real Clear Politics, is Daniel Pipes’ piece in the New York Post calling on the U.S. to select a “democratically-minded strongman” to rule Iraq. Pipes cites Ataturk in Turkey and Chiang Kai-shek in Taiwan as models. This solution makes sense if, as Pipes believes, the alternative is an Iranian-style militant Islamic state. But, with all respect to Pipes who is far better informed on these matters than almost anyone, this belief strikes me as premature at this point.
Most Read on Power Line
- Best. Supreme Court. Brief. Ever.
- More Proof That Liberals Are Humorless Losers
- The Week in Pictures: Crimea River Edition
- As Obama Delays Obamacare Again, Julie Boonstra Strikes Back
- Exclusive to Power Line: Koch Industries Responds to New York Times Smears
- Latest News on the Climate Change Collapse
Subscribe to Power Line by Email
Find us on Facebook
“Arise and take our stand for freedom as in the olden time.” Winston Churchill
“Proclaim Liberty throughout All the land unto All the Inhabitants Thereof.” Inscription on the Liberty Bell