Democrats announced yesterday that they will filibuster the nomination of Texas Supreme Court Justice Priscilla Owen to the 5th Circuit Court of Appeals. Tom Daschle said that “her record is so egregious that we have no choice but to filibuster;” no hint as to what that egregious record might be.
Another nominee, Jeffrey S. Sutton of Ohio, was confirmed to the 6th Circuit yesterday, on a nearly party-line vote, with only two Democrats voting for confirmation. While nothing the Senate does is (or should be) entirely free from politics, for two hundred years the judicial confirmation process was perceived as being mostly about the nominees’ professional qualifications. The Democrats have now abandoned all pretense that the process is about anything other than political warfare.
Next month will mark the second anniversay of the nominations of Miguel Estrada, Priscilla Owen and nine other judicial candidates. Five of the eleven have still not received votes.
- Subscribe now!... Get rid of ADs!Support Power Line...VIP MembershipPresentsPower Line
Most Read on Power Line
- Socialist Death Squads Rule Venezuela
- The Marches For Democrats, As Reported By Liberal Media
- The Associated Press Interviews President Trump
- Macron and Le Pen are one-two in France [UPDATED]
- Trump Administration to Follow Through On "Dumb Deal" Re Illegal Refugees
- Israel strikes pro-Assad militia in Syria
Subscribe to Power Line by Email
Find us on Facebook
“Arise and take our stand for freedom as in the olden time.” Winston Churchill
“Proclaim Liberty throughout All the land unto All the Inhabitants Thereof.” Inscription on the Liberty Bell