Today’s Times carries an interesting account of the Catholic priest on whom Budd Schulberg modeled Father Barry in “On the Waterfront.” At one time, religiously inspired “social justice” advocates like Father Barry and his real-life role model actually had the gall to take on corrupt unions. The story by Times religion writer Peter Steinfels has many interesting details, including Schulberg’s research methods while working on the screenplay for the movie: “A good deal of Mr. Schulberg’s research was conducted in West Side bars, drinking boilermakers
- Subscribe now!... Get rid of ADs!Support Power Line...VIP MembershipPresentsPower Line
Most Read on Power Line
- House committee document could mean trouble for anti-Trump "deep statists"
- Bombshell: Simpson Admits Fusion GPS Went to the Press to Salvage Hillary's Campaign
- Schumer Flees From Tom Cotton
- The Week in Pictures: Pod People Edition
- A Primer on the "Government Shutdown"
- White House issues tough statement on "Schumer Shutdown"
Subscribe to Power Line by Email
Find us on Facebook
“Arise and take our stand for freedom as in the olden time.” Winston Churchill
“Proclaim Liberty throughout All the land unto All the Inhabitants Thereof.” Inscription on the Liberty Bell