The Harold Meyerson piece posted below should be read in conjunction with this column by Bill Kristol. The piece centers on Dick Gephardt’s recent claim that “George Bush has left us less safe and less secure than we were four years ago.” Kristol finds this absurdity to be symptomatic of the Democrats’ lack of seriousness on national security matters, a lack of seriousness that has even Bill Clinton concerned. As Kristol concludes: “There are plenty of legitimate grounds to criticize the Bush administration’s foreign policy. But the American people, whatever their doubts about aspects of Bush’s foreign policy, know that Bush is serious about fighting terrorists and terrorist states that mean America harm. About Bush’s Democratic critics, they know no such thing.
But Kristol’s Democrat bashing, though valid and worthwhile, should not obscure the special fecklessness of Gephardt. Of the five serious contenders (or formerly serious ones) he is the only one who seems, almost simultaneously, to have undermined both his chances of being nominated and his chances of being elected.
- Subscribe now!... Get rid of ADs!Support Power Line...VIP MembershipPresentsPower Line
Most Read on Power Line
- What Color Is the Dress? What Dress?
- King v. Burwell: a discouraging mid-argument report [UPDATED] [WITH FINAL UPDATE]
- Who is Eric Hoteham? [Updated With Twitter Account]
- Another Reason Why Hillary Can't Win
- Energy Sense from an Unlikely Source
- MSM mainstays cut Clinton no slack over her email account
Subscribe to Power Line by Email
Find us on Facebook
“Arise and take our stand for freedom as in the olden time.” Winston Churchill
“Proclaim Liberty throughout All the land unto All the Inhabitants Thereof.” Inscription on the Liberty Bell