I’ve said that the Democrats’ attacks on President Bush over the Niger uranium “issue” are dumb, but it’s beyond me to tell whether they’re good politics. Bill Clinton, for one, apparently believes they’re not, as his sort-of defense of President Bush on the Larry King show is being taken as a warning to Democratic Presidential candidates not to stray too far to the left. A number of Congressional Democrats have seconded Clinton’s warning.
In particular, Clinton seemed on target when he said that “We should be pulling for America on this. We should be pulling for the people of Iraq.” This is a pretty blunt warning that candidates who are seen as anti-American, or as hoping for things to go wrong, are doomed.
The fact is, of course, that the Democratic candidates are hoping for things to go wrong in Iraq. This isn’t just a perception, as Charles Stenholm of Texas says–“I don’t think anyone is rooting against America, but that could be the perception”–it’s a reality. And Clinton is no doubt right is warning that if that’s how the candidates feel, they’d better keep it to themselves.
- Subscribe now!... Get rid of ADs!Support Power Line...VIP MembershipPresentsPower Line
2016 Power Line Picks
Most Read on Power Line
- Under investigation [With Comment By John]
- The Week in Pictures: Narrative Riot Edition
- How's the Coverup Going, Hillary?
- Meet the black Charlotte police officer who shot Keith Lamont Scott
- Mark Cuban and Gennifer Flowers to Square Off at Monday's Debate? [with comment by Paul]
- Scandal management with the FBI
Subscribe to Power Line by Email
Find us on Facebook
“Arise and take our stand for freedom as in the olden time.” Winston Churchill
“Proclaim Liberty throughout All the land unto All the Inhabitants Thereof.” Inscription on the Liberty Bell