John Bolton, the administration’s undersecretary of state for arms control, testified on Syria before a House committee today. Portions of his testimony were made public. Bolton testified that Syria has continued to allow its citizens to infiltrate Iraq to attack Americans and Iraqis. It has been reported that 60% to 70% of the foreign nationals apprehended in Iraq have been Syrians. Bolton also testified about Syria’s continuing, and highly disturbing, development of biological and chemical weapons.
Most interesting to me, however, was Bolton’s testimony that the administration “has been unable to confirm” reports that Iraq covertly transferred its illegal weapons to Syria “in an attempt to hide them from United Nations inspectors and coalition forces.” Debka File has claimed that this is what happened to Iraq’s WMDs and has identified a valley in Lebanon where they are ostensibly buried. Also, a few weeks ago news reports surfaced quoting American officials who seemed to support the same conclusion. If that theory really is a dry hole, then the present whereabouts of Iraq’s WMDs is as big a mystery as ever. For the time being, at least.
- Subscribe now!... Get rid of ADs!Support Power Line...VIP MembershipPresentsPower Line
Most Read on Power Line
- The Week in Pictures: Special Al Franken Edition
- On blue slips, Grassley pulls the trigger
- How Al Franken Sees Himself, and How Others See Him
- Gloria Allred won't allow inspection of yearbook
- Kirsten Gillibrand's intellectual dishonesty [UPDATED]
- It wasn't "the times" that caused feminists to give Bill Clinton a pass
Subscribe to Power Line by Email
Find us on Facebook
“Arise and take our stand for freedom as in the olden time.” Winston Churchill
“Proclaim Liberty throughout All the land unto All the Inhabitants Thereof.” Inscription on the Liberty Bell