The Jerusalem Post reports that a group of Palestinian legislators are demanding an investigation into the whereabouts of huge amounts of money belonging to the Palestinians. It seems finally to have dawned on some Palestinians that Yasser Arafat may be — how can I say this without offending the Saudis — less than entirely scrupulous when it comes to money. The Palestinian legislators believe that Arafat’s adviser on economic affairs, Muhammad Rashid (also known as Kaled Salam) is holding at least $200 million in a secret bank account. The money represents tax revenues, profits from commercial investments and PA controlled monopolies, petroleum duties paid via Israeli customs, and so forth. The money is thought to be in secret Swiss bank accounts, with only Rashid and Arafat knowing its actual whereabouts. And, unfortunately for Arafat, he and Rashid reportedly have had a falling out
The Power Line Picks
Most Read on Power Line
- Thoughts on the Ritual Now Taking Place in Ferguson, Missouri
- This Is Who Texas Democrats Are Defending
- Report: More than a dozen witnesses say Brown attacked officer [UPDATED]
- Was David Gregory fired for being "pro-Israel"?
- Breaking: Nuclear Sabotage in Europe?
- A window opens onto the left-wing mind
Subscribe to Power Line by Email
Find us on Facebook
“Arise and take our stand for freedom as in the olden time.” Winston Churchill
“Proclaim Liberty throughout All the land unto All the Inhabitants Thereof.” Inscription on the Liberty Bell