Nat Hentoff, on old-time civil libertarian (staunch and principled) shows how Senate Democrats are distorting the record of Janice Rogers Brown, the latest of President Bush’s judicial nominees to be blocked. Hentoff cites a series of opinions by Brown, in her capacity as a member of the California Supreme Court, that give the lie to Ted Kennedy’s lazy claim that Brown has “a deep-seated and disturbing hostility to civil rights, workers’ rights, consumer protection and government action.” Indeed, Hentoff’s description of Brown’s opinion in a 2002 racial profiling cases sounds like it should disturb me more than it should disturb Senator Kennedy, if he actually cared about the merits and didn’t simply take his orders from left-wing special interest groups.
Most Read on Power Line
- The Week in Pictures: Crimea River Edition
- More Proof That Liberals Are Humorless Losers
- Exclusive to Power Line: Koch Industries Responds to New York Times Smears
- Latest News on the Climate Change Collapse
- Rand Paul: Did an Old Prejudice Rear Its Head In His CPAC Speech?
- Poll contains good news and bad news for Democrats [With Comment on Hillary By John]
Subscribe to Power Line by Email
Find us on Facebook
“Arise and take our stand for freedom as in the olden time.” Winston Churchill
“Proclaim Liberty throughout All the land unto All the Inhabitants Thereof.” Inscription on the Liberty Bell