What a story:
“The troops were getting ornery, 300 of them sitting for over an hour, waiting – for no good reason, it seemed – to get in the chow line at the Bob Hope Dining Hall at Baghdad International Airport and get their turkey dinners.
“Finally, a visibly nervous U.S. administrator L. Paul Bremer III strode to the podium with Lt. Gen. Ricardo Sanchez, the U.S. military commander in Iraq. The two dispensed a few quick words. Bremer then turned to Sanchez and said he had a Thanksgiving message from U.S. President George W. Bush. Bremer said the most ‘senior’ U.S. official among them should be the one to read it.
“Turning toward the stage backdrop, Bremer asked: ‘Is there anyone back there who’s more senior than us?’ Bremer’s hands, cradling the president’s speech, quavered.
“At that moment, Bush strode forth from the wings in an Army track suit emblazoned with a 1st Armored Division patch. The bored crowd shot immediately from their seats and whooped. As he surveyed the crowd, a tear dripped to the president’s cheek.
“‘I was just looking for a warm meal somewhere,’ Bush said, to another whoop. ‘Thanks for inviting me to dinner.'”
- Subscribe now!... Get rid of ADs!Support Power Line...VIP MembershipPresentsPower Line
Most Read on Power Line
- The Week in Pictures: Toxic Democrats Edition
- Kamala Harris goes silent when confronted with true sex-based oppression
- An epidemic of lawlessness
- Charles Grassley: Chuck Schumer lied about Russia investigation
- Dems Say: Stop Obsessing On Russia!
- The AP Runs Interference for Comey and Mueller [with comment by Paul]
Subscribe to Power Line by Email
Find us on Facebook
“Arise and take our stand for freedom as in the olden time.” Winston Churchill
“Proclaim Liberty throughout All the land unto All the Inhabitants Thereof.” Inscription on the Liberty Bell