A major arrest in the recent bombings in Turkey: the Associated Press reports that an unidentified man believed to have ordered the bombing of the Beth Israel synagogue bombing was apprehended on Tuesday and is now in police custody, charged with “attempting to overthrow Turkey’s constitutional order by force,” a charge considered equivalent to treason.
The most interesting aspect of the report is that the man, arrested on a tip, was trying to escape into Iran under a false identity. Iran has acknowledged holding a number of al Qaeda terrorists. The dispute has been whether these terrorists are being arrested by Iran, or harbored by Iran. This individual, at any rate, apparently considered Iran a safe haven.
The Power Line Picks
Most Read on Power Line
- Thoughts on the Ritual Now Taking Place in Ferguson, Missouri
- This Is Who Texas Democrats Are Defending
- Was David Gregory fired for being "pro-Israel"?
- Report: More than a dozen witnesses say Brown attacked officer [UPDATED]
- The Week in Pictures: Quel Horreur! Edition
- Breaking: Nuclear Sabotage in Europe?
Subscribe to Power Line by Email
Find us on Facebook
“Arise and take our stand for freedom as in the olden time.” Winston Churchill
“Proclaim Liberty throughout All the land unto All the Inhabitants Thereof.” Inscription on the Liberty Bell