George Will pauses to reflect on George Washington’s triumphal trip home for Christmas 1783, the trip on which he surrrendered his military commission and returned to Mount Vernon: “Washington, source of a nation.” Will summarizes Stanley Weintraub’s new book, General Washington’s Christmas Farewell: A Mount Vernon Homecoming, 1783. In a season during which we pause to reflect on the gratitude we owe to others, Will’s column is perfect reading.
UPDATE: National Review Online has a good interview with Stanley Weintraub regarding Washington’s journey home: “A Washingtonian Christmas.”
Most Read on Power Line
- Why You Should Be Sympathetic Toward Cliven Bundy
- Today's IRS Documents: What Do They Show?
- Standoff at Bundy Ranch Ends, With Photo of the Year So Far
- The War On Standards Comes to College Debate [with comment by Paul]
- Is Scott Walker on his way to 2016 front-runner status?
- At Dartmouth, Phil Hanlon wants no enemies to the left
Subscribe to Power Line by Email
Find us on Facebook
“Arise and take our stand for freedom as in the olden time.” Winston Churchill
“Proclaim Liberty throughout All the land unto All the Inhabitants Thereof.” Inscription on the Liberty Bell