George Will pauses to reflect on George Washington’s triumphal trip home for Christmas 1783, the trip on which he surrrendered his military commission and returned to Mount Vernon: “Washington, source of a nation.” Will summarizes Stanley Weintraub’s new book, General Washington’s Christmas Farewell: A Mount Vernon Homecoming, 1783. In a season during which we pause to reflect on the gratitude we owe to others, Will’s column is perfect reading.
UPDATE: National Review Online has a good interview with Stanley Weintraub regarding Washington’s journey home: “A Washingtonian Christmas.”
- Subscribe now!... Get rid of ADs!Support Power Line...VIP MembershipPresentsPower Line
2016 Power Line Picks
Most Read on Power Line
- There's something about Hillary's health
- Meet the black Charlotte police officer who shot Keith Lamont Scott
- What the NFL Can Teach Washington About Social Policy
- The Economy in Pictures
- Glenn Kessler illustrates why moderators shouldn't "fact check"
- The National Anthem: a tale of two football teams
Subscribe to Power Line by Email
Find us on Facebook
“Arise and take our stand for freedom as in the olden time.” Winston Churchill
“Proclaim Liberty throughout All the land unto All the Inhabitants Thereof.” Inscription on the Liberty Bell