Ever since the run-up to the war in Iraq, we have heard the word “quagmire” thrown about loosely. Those who use the term never seem to provide a test for determining whether a quagmire exists but, for my money, a good test is whether “ceasefires” are occurring. Now that they are in Iraq, it may be time to officially acknowledge that we are in a quagmire. Alternatively, it may simply be time to cease the phony ceasefires. Jed Babbin, for National Review Online, makes the case that it is long past time to end the one in Fallujah. After that, “no more ceasefires anywhere, please, until the insurgents are beaten decisively.”
The Power Line Picks
Most Read on Power Line
- Thoughts on the Ritual Now Taking Place in Ferguson, Missouri
- This Is Who Texas Democrats Are Defending
- Was David Gregory fired for being "pro-Israel"?
- Report: More than a dozen witnesses say Brown attacked officer [UPDATED]
- The Week in Pictures: Quel Horreur! Edition
- Breaking: Nuclear Sabotage in Europe?
Subscribe to Power Line by Email
Find us on Facebook
“Arise and take our stand for freedom as in the olden time.” Winston Churchill
“Proclaim Liberty throughout All the land unto All the Inhabitants Thereof.” Inscription on the Liberty Bell