Reader Franco Aleman, the Barcepundit, sends along this disgusting–not a strong enough word–advertisement from the Madrid newspaper El Pais:
Click to Enlarge.
The ad copy says: “You can do a lot in one single day.” And then, I think it says–my Spanish is very rusty–“Imagine what you could accomplish in three months.” The “lot” you can do in a single day is, apparently, destroying the World Trade Center. Although, of course, you won’t do much thereafter if you’re a suicide bomber.
I trust someone in the administration is taking names. John Kerry, of course, would consult earnestly with these people before taking any steps to defend us from attack.
UPDATE: A reader says it means “three months of free news.” “Rusty” was an understatement. But that doesn’t affect the point that the ad is beyond tasteless.
FURTHER UPDATE: A number of readers have written to say that the translation should be “a lot can happen in a day,” not “you can do a lot in a day.” A couple have also agreed with the original translation. The revised version strikes me as more plausible, which would make the ad tasteless but not an apparent endorsement of terrorism.
- Subscribe now!... Get rid of ADs!Support Power Line...VIP MembershipPresentsPower Line
Most Read on Power Line
- The Week in Pictures: Special Al Franken Edition
- On blue slips, Grassley pulls the trigger
- How Al Franken Sees Himself, and How Others See Him
- Kirsten Gillibrand's intellectual dishonesty [UPDATED]
- Gloria Allred won't allow inspection of yearbook
- It wasn't "the times" that caused feminists to give Bill Clinton a pass
Subscribe to Power Line by Email
Find us on Facebook
“Arise and take our stand for freedom as in the olden time.” Winston Churchill
“Proclaim Liberty throughout All the land unto All the Inhabitants Thereof.” Inscription on the Liberty Bell