The Skeptical Optimist has created some very nice graphics that put America’s current national debt in perspective, both historically and in proportion to other countries’ debts. I’d steal the graphs, but they’re very pretty and represent a lot of work by the Optimist, so be sure to check them out on his site.
While the facts are by no means as bad as they are generally represented, I’d very much like to see federal spending cut back. But reducing (or even materially moderating the growth of) government spending seems to be the lost conservative ideal, receding farther and farther into the distance as, year after year, would-be conservative administrations fail to achieve spending restraint.
- Subscribe now!... Get rid of ADs!Support Power Line...VIP MembershipPresentsPower Line
Most Read on Power Line
- The Week in Pictures: The Amnesty and the Ecstasy Edition
- Grubinations, White House edition
- Ishmael Jones: Panetta's betrayal
- How'd Hillary do?
- If you like your health insurance plan, you must pay more to keep your health insurance plan
- Grubergate Highlights the Corruption of the Obama Administration
Subscribe to Power Line by Email
Find us on Facebook
“Arise and take our stand for freedom as in the olden time.” Winston Churchill
“Proclaim Liberty throughout All the land unto All the Inhabitants Thereof.” Inscription on the Liberty Bell