A break from the serious: We Minnesotans tend to shake our heads over “polar bear” clubs, where people go swimming on, say, New Year’s Day, usually in climes that by our standards are pretty mild. San Francisco Bay, say. We’re not impressed: in Lake Superior, even in the summer, life expectancy is measured in minutes if you should fall off a boat. In January, no one here goes swimming. Well, you can’t, really, since bodies of water are frozen solid.
Here, however, courtesy of Yahoo News photos, we have a “polar bear” who earns our admiration on all counts, Patricia Archdeacon of Clarksburg, Md.:
This is no wimpy swim. Note the ice in Chesapeake Bay off Annapolis, MD, where I spent two delightful summers in my youth, living with an uncle who was a spy. The main hazard then was jellyfish; I doff my hat to those who brave the ice.
- Subscribe now!... Get rid of ADs!Support Power Line...VIP MembershipPresentsPower Line
Most Read on Power Line
- House committee document could mean trouble for anti-Trump "deep statists"
- Bombshell: Simpson Admits Fusion GPS Went to the Press to Salvage Hillary's Campaign
- Schumer Flees From Tom Cotton
- The Week in Pictures: Pod People Edition
- A Primer on the "Government Shutdown"
- White House issues tough statement on "Schumer Shutdown"
Subscribe to Power Line by Email
Find us on Facebook
“Arise and take our stand for freedom as in the olden time.” Winston Churchill
“Proclaim Liberty throughout All the land unto All the Inhabitants Thereof.” Inscription on the Liberty Bell