The Daily Standard has posted a report by Thomas Joscelyn on the Club of Madrid’s Summit on Democracy, Terrorism and Security. Those in attendance ranged from George Soros to Hamid Karzai. The remarks of former Secretary of State Madeline Albright are prominently featured in Joscelyn’s report. Also in attendance were Daniel Cohn-Bendit and Amre Mousa, secretary-general of the League of Arab States. The summit sounds like a thorough-going anti-American festival.
Kofi Annan used the conference to outline his “more multilateral approach to fighting terrorism.” Joscelyn notes, however, that Albright was second to none in her criticism of the American-led war on terrorism.
Joscelyn observes: “The summit was the brainchild of wealthy Argentinean entrepreneur and philanthropist Martin Varsavsky. (Besides being the founder of several successful telecom and internet content companies, among Varsavsky’s “plethora of non-business activities,” he is a member of the Board of Trustees of the William Jefferson Clinton Foundation.)” The parenthetical note is a killer.
Joscelyn gives us much to chew on in this striking report: “The soft power summit.”
- Subscribe now!... Get rid of ADs!Support Power Line...VIP MembershipPresentsPower Line
Most Read on Power Line
- The Week in Pictures: Special Al Franken Edition
- On blue slips, Grassley pulls the trigger
- How Al Franken Sees Himself, and How Others See Him
- Kirsten Gillibrand's intellectual dishonesty [UPDATED]
- Gloria Allred won't allow inspection of yearbook
- It wasn't "the times" that caused feminists to give Bill Clinton a pass
Subscribe to Power Line by Email
Find us on Facebook
“Arise and take our stand for freedom as in the olden time.” Winston Churchill
“Proclaim Liberty throughout All the land unto All the Inhabitants Thereof.” Inscription on the Liberty Bell