Last night we noted that Dartmouth College has hired its first “sustainability director,” Jim Merkel. The Dartmouth Daily story on Merkel’s hiring reported that Merkel — “who is currently bicycing through Spain to promote his book ‘Radical Simplicity’” — has lived “on only $5,000 a year — close to the global average income — for the past 14 years.”
We have been flooded with email responding to our post on Mr. Merkel. Speaking most concisely for several of our readers is Mark James, who observes of Mr. Merkel’s budget: “All the more remarkable when you consider that the round trip to Spain alone is about $1,000 from New York.”
- Subscribe now!... Get rid of ADs!Support Power Line...VIP MembershipPresentsPower Line
Most Read on Power Line
- Is the Washington Press Corps Covering Up Another Obama Administration Fiasco? [Updated]
- What Difference, At This Point, Does It Make?
- Who's a Chickenshit?
- More on the Obama Administration Scandal That the Washington Press Corps Tried to Bury
- When You've Lost the New York Times. . .
- Who's The Warmest of Them All?
Subscribe to Power Line by Email
Find us on Facebook
“Arise and take our stand for freedom as in the olden time.” Winston Churchill
“Proclaim Liberty throughout All the land unto All the Inhabitants Thereof.” Inscription on the Liberty Bell