George Will endorses J. Harvie Wilkinson III of the Fourth Circuit Court of Appeals to fill Justice O’Connor’s seat. Judge Wilkinson is not my top pick, but he’d be a good one (he was on a “short list” I came up with right after last year’s election which was limited to judges with whom I have some experience).
Ramesh Ponnuru claims that Wilkinson is another Lewis Powell, but I know the Fourth Circuit pretty well and I disagree with Ponnuru. However, Will doesn’t help matters by calling Powell “the embodiment of mainstream conservative jurisprudence.” See this piece by William Stuntz, who like Wilkinson clerked for Powell, to see why Will is wrong.
- Subscribe now!... Get rid of ADs!Support Power Line...VIP MembershipPresentsPower Line
Most Read on Power Line
- Durham D.A. admits ideology will influence his prosecutorial discretion
- The media can't help but help Trump
- New York Times Applauds Far-Left Violence
- Munchin' on Mnuchin
- U.S. Civil Rights Commission wants no enemies on the left
- Google Teaming With Left-Wing Groups to Drive Conservatives Off the Internet?
Subscribe to Power Line by Email
Find us on Facebook
“Arise and take our stand for freedom as in the olden time.” Winston Churchill
“Proclaim Liberty throughout All the land unto All the Inhabitants Thereof.” Inscription on the Liberty Bell