This is shoe number three; Able Danger is starting to look like a centipede. Defense contractor J.D. Smith, who says he worked on the technical side of the data mining project, says he is “absolutely positive” that Mohammed Atta was on the list of terrorist suspects that the group generated. He says that the Able Danger team acquired a photograph of Atta from overseas, and that Atta was just one form of the name that the individual used.
I’ve been cautious on this story, and I still am. Where have these people been since September 2001? How reliable are their memories nearly four years later? Where are the documents that might corroborate their story? Do all of these individuals really remember Atta, or, like the original source, Lt. Col. Anthony Shaffer, are they merely repeating something they heard another member of the team say? And where is the “female PhD” who, according to Shaffer, ran the software for the project and told him that Atta had been identified in 2000?
If the Able Danger story is true, more shoes are almost certain to drop. It’s looking better than it did a week ago, but it could still collapse.
Via Captain Ed and Power Line News.
- Subscribe now!... Get rid of ADs!Support Power Line...VIP MembershipPresentsPower Line
Most Read on Power Line
- Politically Incorrect Ad of the Year (Updated)
- Mosby's Meltdown
- Trump, Russia and the DNC Emails: The Real Story
- The New York Times: Two conflicting editorials, one cynical motive
- Mid-Week in Pictures: Special DNC Edition
- Bill Clinton leaves us wondering how he could have been such a louse to Hillary
Subscribe to Power Line by Email
Find us on Facebook
“Arise and take our stand for freedom as in the olden time.” Winston Churchill
“Proclaim Liberty throughout All the land unto All the Inhabitants Thereof.” Inscription on the Liberty Bell