Terry Eastland has just the right take on the Roberts nomination when he says, “Judge Roberts represents precisely the kind of nominee you’d expect from the president of the party shaped by Mr. Reagan.”
And given the success of the party as Reagan shaped it, the Democrats have little hope of defeating Roberts, and no basis for claiming that his utterances supporting the Reagan administration’s legal thinking show him to be an extremist or “outside the mainstream.” As I suggested here, the fact that Roberts’ Reagan-era statements don’t comport with what Chuck Schumer’s law professors told him in the 1960s, and what NARAL and Peoople for the American Way tell him now, doesn’t make them extreme.
Via Real Clear Politics.
- Subscribe now!... Get rid of ADs!Support Power Line...VIP MembershipPresentsPower Line
Most Read on Power Line
- Princeton Students Fight Back
- Five Shot at Black Lives Matter Protest In Minneapolis [Updated]
- Washington Post's Fact Checker Doesn't Read the Washington Post [Updated][Updated Again]
- When the Press Attacks Donald Trump, the Truth Is Optional [Updated]
- The man our founders warned us against
- Insist on the Gosar amendment
The Power Line Show
Subscribe to Power Line by Email
Find us on Facebook
“Arise and take our stand for freedom as in the olden time.” Winston Churchill
“Proclaim Liberty throughout All the land unto All the Inhabitants Thereof.” Inscription on the Liberty Bell