One of few suspenseful aspects of the Alito confirmation end-game has been waiting for Rhode Island Senator Chafee to make up his mind. Normally, Chafee (the Senate’s most liberal Republican) could be counted on to vote against the conservative Alito, especially in an election year. But this year he faces a challenge in the Republican primary. Moreover, Italian-Americans are a huge factor in Rhode Island politics.
Chafee nonetheless has decided to vote against Alito. Alexander McClure at PoliPundit thinks Chafee has not calculated well, but I’m less sure.
- Subscribe now!... Get rid of ADs!Support Power Line...VIP MembershipPresentsPower Line
Most Read on Power Line
- Dishonest CIA Director Rips Trump; Trump Should Rip Him Back [Updated]
- Power Line's Inauguration Liberal Beclowning Contest
- 300 US Jewish leaders are with you
- Trump likely to move Britain to the front of the queue
- Trump meets with Judge Pryor as rumored "short list" emerges
- Reporters Beg Martin Luther King III to Denounce Trump [Updated]
Subscribe to Power Line by Email
Find us on Facebook
“Arise and take our stand for freedom as in the olden time.” Winston Churchill
“Proclaim Liberty throughout All the land unto All the Inhabitants Thereof.” Inscription on the Liberty Bell