Mark Steyn devotes his column to a discussion of the fraudulent Jefferson quote: “Dissent is the highest form of patriotism.” Jefferson never said it. Dissent is not the highest form of patriotism. Jefferson, on the other hand, did write “that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.” There doesn’t seem to be much overlap between the folks who falsely quote Jefferson on the subject of dissent and those who quote the more famous statement.
- Subscribe now!... Get rid of ADs!Support Power Line...VIP MembershipPresentsPower Line
Most Read on Power Line
- Another reason why Hillary Clinton does not deserve to be president
- A Police-Involved Shooting In Omaha
- More evidence that the criminal justice system is too lenient
- Washington Post Attacks Rubio: He's Not Rich!
- Obama expounds the limits of Iran's anti-Semitism
- Is Hillary's Candidacy Just Another Business Deal?
Subscribe to Power Line by Email
Find us on Facebook
“Arise and take our stand for freedom as in the olden time.” Winston Churchill
“Proclaim Liberty throughout All the land unto All the Inhabitants Thereof.” Inscription on the Liberty Bell