Mark Steyn devotes his column to a discussion of the fraudulent Jefferson quote: “Dissent is the highest form of patriotism.” Jefferson never said it. Dissent is not the highest form of patriotism. Jefferson, on the other hand, did write “that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.” There doesn’t seem to be much overlap between the folks who falsely quote Jefferson on the subject of dissent and those who quote the more famous statement.
Most Read on Power Line
- Best. Supreme Court. Brief. Ever.
- More Proof That Liberals Are Humorless Losers
- As Obama Delays Obamacare Again, Julie Boonstra Strikes Back
- The Week in Pictures: Crimea River Edition
- Exclusive to Power Line: Koch Industries Responds to New York Times Smears
- Latest News on the Climate Change Collapse
Subscribe to Power Line by Email
Find us on Facebook
“Arise and take our stand for freedom as in the olden time.” Winston Churchill
“Proclaim Liberty throughout All the land unto All the Inhabitants Thereof.” Inscription on the Liberty Bell