Another very important document from Saddam’s archives, translated by jveritas:
In the Name of God the Most Merciful the Most Compassionate
The Presidency of the Republic
The Intelligence Apparatus
Mr: The Respected Director
Subject: Projects of a Plan
Below are projects of the plan for the year 2000 and according to the budget suggested for it in the spending budget of the year 2000 and as follow:
1. Prepare an armored brief case to protect the VIPs 180 days.
2. Study on the Epoxy used currently in preparing the IEDs and the possibility of finding another type that will not affect the explosive.
3. Studies and researches of the materials that increase the intensity of the explosive.
4. Prepare theoretical and applied lessons on the popular explosives 120 days.
5. Training of the Arab Fedayeens- within the plan of the year 2000.
Establish tournaments specialized in the explosives 30 days.
Please review and your command with regards.
Khaled Ibrahim Ismail
A very interesting document. Note that the Iraqis were working on IEDs as early as 1999. Why, I wonder? The most striking thing, of course, is the reference to “Training of the Arab Fedayeens.” “Arab Fedayeens” is, I believe, a common term for foreign terrorists. So this seems consistent with the recent revelation that Saddam’s regime operated at least three terrorist training centers, attended by terrorists from numerous countries, right up until the eve of the war in 2003.
And note who wrote the memo: a “Senior Chemist.” Which suggests that Iraq was sharing its knowledge of chemical weaponry with foreign terrorists as of 2000.
As always, we welcome comments on the translation, which can be accessed through the jveritas link above.