Israel and the Palestinian Authority have agreed to a cease fire in Gaza. Israel has agreed to stop its military operations in Gaza and withdraw; in return, Palestinian terrorist groups, through PA chairman Abbas, have agreed to “end … all Palestinian violence, including rocket fire, tunneling, and suicide bombers.” I believe that the Palestinians had previously offered to stop firing rockets, but prior cease fire offers had not included suicide bombers or other forms of violence.
No one has any illusions about the permanence of the cease fire:
Abu Mujahed, a spokesman for the Popular Resistance Committees, a Hamas ally, said, … “We give six months to open real political horizons … we agreed on the national accord to establish a Palestinian state, with the June 4, 1967 borders,” he said.
He warned that if an agreement is not reached within that time, “Hamas will become stronger and the resistance will resume … and will go on with a third intifada.”
The agreement apparently fails to mention kidnapped Israeli soldier Crpl. Gilad Shalit, who now has been held captive by the terrorists in Gaza for five months.