In Beatles lore it’s known as the day John met Paul. In Power Line lore it is the day in 1969 when two junior high school students disguised as Dartmouth sophomores won a debate tournament. And a partnership was formed.
JOHN adds: Yikes! That’s some haircut. I think this was taken when I’d just completed a hunger strike, too.
If I’m not mistaken, this was after a tournament at the University of Miami. The tournament was around this time of year, and Paul and I trekked down to Miami with our coach, bundled up in our winter coats. It was quite a revelation: the student union at Miami was a swimming pool.
Now we’ll have to come up with a really hideous shot of Scott.
PAUL adds: I remember it like it was 25 years ago. We almost lost quarterfinals because we couldn’t find the room. We almost lost semifinals because Emory was very good (one of their two debaters was Richard Willard who would become prominent in the Reagan and Bush I Justice Departments). We almost lost finals because I couldn’t figure out what to say about the odd-ball Rutgers case. But John kept dazzling the judges with references to Plato and Aristotle.
- Subscribe now!... Get rid of ADs!Support Power Line...VIP MembershipPresentsPower Line
Most Read on Power Line
- 97 Percent of All Liberal Claims Are Wrong
- Earth's Climate Shows 2,000-Year Cooling Trend
- In which Keith Ellison finds me of use
- Next, let's poll the police
- The Collapse of the Democratic Party In South Dakota: What Happened?
- The Cuba appeasement and the latest detainee release -- is there a connection?
Subscribe to Power Line by Email
Find us on Facebook
“Arise and take our stand for freedom as in the olden time.” Winston Churchill
“Proclaim Liberty throughout All the land unto All the Inhabitants Thereof.” Inscription on the Liberty Bell