Former Pittsburgh Steelers great Lynn Swann gained only 40 percent of the vote when he ran for governor of Pennsylvania last year. However in the Pennsylvania’s fourth congressional district, located in the Pittsburgh area, he outpolled his Democratic opponent with a 52 percent share. Meanwhile, the incumbent Republican representative in that district, Melissa Hart, went down to defeat. Democrat Jason Altmire won with 52 percent of the vote. Altmire also has football credentials — he was a member of the Florida State team.
Salena Zito in the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review reports that Swann is considering running for the Fourth District seat. Former Representative Hart says she may try to win the seat back, so if Swann enters the race the two may face off.
Larry Sabato says a Swann-Altmire race would be very competitive. He notes that Swann “has high name ID and the ability to raise a good deal of money.” Swann’s strong showing in the district last year, in a campaign where he spent little money in the Pittsburgh market, suggests that Sabato is correct.
To comment on this post, go here
- Subscribe now!... Get rid of ADs!Support Power Line...VIP MembershipPresentsPower Line
Most Read on Power Line
- House committee document could mean trouble for anti-Trump "deep statists"
- Bombshell: Simpson Admits Fusion GPS Went to the Press to Salvage Hillary's Campaign
- Schumer Flees From Tom Cotton
- A Primer on the "Government Shutdown"
- An Immigration Trifecta
- Simpson Tried to Deceive Congress On the Fusion GPS/Obama DOJ Connection
Subscribe to Power Line by Email
Find us on Facebook
“Arise and take our stand for freedom as in the olden time.” Winston Churchill
“Proclaim Liberty throughout All the land unto All the Inhabitants Thereof.” Inscription on the Liberty Bell