I’ve been negligent when it comes to reporting on the efforts of Senate Democrats to block the nomination of Judge Leslie Southwick to the Fifth Circuit Court of Appeals, and their accompanying smear campaign. Fortunately, Ed Whelan at NRO’s Bench Memos has been doing his usual great job, and you should check out his posts on the subject (just keep scrolling) from which much of the discussion below is drawn.
Judge Southwick was rated “well qualified” by the American Bar Association. He thus received the highest rating given by this organization, which has certainly not been prone to “grade inflation” when it comes to President Bush’s nominees.
It’s easy to see why Judge Southwick received this rating. After graduating from the University of Texas Law School in 1975, he clerked for Fifth Cirucit Judge Charles Clark, a very solid judge before whom I appeared a few times. Then, after more than a decade in private practice, he served as Deputy Assistant Attorney General for the U.S. Department of Justice
- Subscribe now!... Get rid of ADs!Support Power Line...VIP MembershipPresentsPower Line
Most Read on Power Line
- House committee document could mean trouble for anti-Trump "deep statists"
- Bombshell: Simpson Admits Fusion GPS Went to the Press to Salvage Hillary's Campaign
- Schumer Flees From Tom Cotton
- A Primer on the "Government Shutdown"
- Simpson Tried to Deceive Congress On the Fusion GPS/Obama DOJ Connection
- An Immigration Trifecta
Subscribe to Power Line by Email
Find us on Facebook
“Arise and take our stand for freedom as in the olden time.” Winston Churchill
“Proclaim Liberty throughout All the land unto All the Inhabitants Thereof.” Inscription on the Liberty Bell