Rep. John Murtha, having returned from a trip to Iraq, acknowledges that the U.S. military surge is working. Murtha also reports that the morale of the Pennsylvania troops he met with is good and that they want to finish the job.
Unfortunately, Murtha opposes letting them do so. Murtha still insists that the U.S. pull out of Iraq. He is now willing to compromise on the timing, not because we’re succeeding but because of the difficulties associated with getting all of our heavy equipment out of Iraq by the end of 2008. They don’t call him “fighting Jack Murtha” for nothing.
Though unmoved by our success, Murtha isn’t above taking credit for it. Murtha says he’s not surprised by our military success, and that he sent a letter to President Bush early in the war stating that the U.S. needed a much larger ground force to pacify Iraq.
Yet in 2006, Murtha wrote on his blog that “our military has done everything it can do militarily.” They don’t call him “honest Jack Murtha” for nothing.
To comment on this post, go here.
- Subscribe now!... Get rid of ADs!Support Power Line...VIP MembershipPresentsPower Line
2016 Power Line Picks
Most Read on Power Line
- There's something about Hillary's health
- Meet the black Charlotte police officer who shot Keith Lamont Scott
- What the NFL Can Teach Washington About Social Policy
- The Economy in Pictures
- Glenn Kessler illustrates why moderators shouldn't "fact check"
- The National Anthem: a tale of two football teams
Subscribe to Power Line by Email
Find us on Facebook
“Arise and take our stand for freedom as in the olden time.” Winston Churchill
“Proclaim Liberty throughout All the land unto All the Inhabitants Thereof.” Inscription on the Liberty Bell