John Edwards will drop out of the presidential race today. Chris Cillizza speculates that this will help Barack Obama because the anti-Clinton bloc will no longer have a second option.
I don’t profess to have any deep understanding of Democratic politics (or, after this past month, Republican politics either), but one can make the oppositie case. Nearly all Edwards voters are white and I suspect his class-warfare theme may be attracting some lower income and union voters. Whites, low income voters, and union members have been part of Hillary Clinton’s bloc.
If Edwards endorses Obama, that would probably have some impact. Cillizza reports that Edwards will not endorse either Clinton or Obama today and has no plans to weigh in for either candidate in the immediate future. But that certainly doesn’t rule out an endorsement.
To comment on this post, go here.
Most Read on Power Line
- Why You Should Be Sympathetic Toward Cliven Bundy
- Today's IRS Documents: What Do They Show?
- Standoff at Bundy Ranch Ends, With Photo of the Year So Far
- The War On Standards Comes to College Debate [with comment by Paul]
- Is Scott Walker on his way to 2016 front-runner status?
- At Dartmouth, Phil Hanlon wants no enemies to the left
Subscribe to Power Line by Email
Find us on Facebook
“Arise and take our stand for freedom as in the olden time.” Winston Churchill
“Proclaim Liberty throughout All the land unto All the Inhabitants Thereof.” Inscription on the Liberty Bell