John Edwards will drop out of the presidential race today. Chris Cillizza speculates that this will help Barack Obama because the anti-Clinton bloc will no longer have a second option.
I don’t profess to have any deep understanding of Democratic politics (or, after this past month, Republican politics either), but one can make the oppositie case. Nearly all Edwards voters are white and I suspect his class-warfare theme may be attracting some lower income and union voters. Whites, low income voters, and union members have been part of Hillary Clinton’s bloc.
If Edwards endorses Obama, that would probably have some impact. Cillizza reports that Edwards will not endorse either Clinton or Obama today and has no plans to weigh in for either candidate in the immediate future. But that certainly doesn’t rule out an endorsement.
To comment on this post, go here.
The Power Line Picks
Most Read on Power Line
- Thoughts on the Ritual Now Taking Place in Ferguson, Missouri
- This Is Who Texas Democrats Are Defending
- Was David Gregory fired for being "pro-Israel"?
- Report: More than a dozen witnesses say Brown attacked officer [UPDATED]
- The Week in Pictures: Quel Horreur! Edition
- Breaking: Nuclear Sabotage in Europe?
Subscribe to Power Line by Email
Find us on Facebook
“Arise and take our stand for freedom as in the olden time.” Winston Churchill
“Proclaim Liberty throughout All the land unto All the Inhabitants Thereof.” Inscription on the Liberty Bell