Everton roared into the final 16 of Europe’s UEFA championship with a 6-1 home victory over the Norwegian side Brann. The aggregate score for the two legs was 8-1, the most decisive result in the round of 32. Yakubu had a hat trick today, and Andy Johnson contributed two goals.
Everton’s win nearly earned us another trip to Norway, but Fiorentina edged past Rosenborg, so it’s on to Italy. Everton traveling supporters no doubt will enjoy Florence more than Trondheim, but the team will face stiffer competition from the Italians. Fiorentina currently sits in fourth place in the Italian League, just as we do in the Premiership, so it figures to be a pretty even encounter.
Two other English clubs will join Everton in the final 16, Tottenham and lowly Bolton. The latter, which is trying to stave off relegation in England, upset Spanish powerhouse Atletico Madrid.
England has four clubs in the final 16 of the more prestigious Champions League, for a total of seven of the 32 teams still playing in Europe. That’s the best of any league.
- Subscribe now!... Get rid of ADs!Support Power Line...VIP MembershipPresentsPower Line
Most Read on Power Line
- House committee document could mean trouble for anti-Trump "deep statists"
- Bombshell: Simpson Admits Fusion GPS Went to the Press to Salvage Hillary's Campaign
- The Week in Pictures: Pod People Edition
- Schumer Flees From Tom Cotton
- Minnesota woman strikes St. Kate's
- White House issues tough statement on "Schumer Shutdown"
Subscribe to Power Line by Email
Find us on Facebook
“Arise and take our stand for freedom as in the olden time.” Winston Churchill
“Proclaim Liberty throughout All the land unto All the Inhabitants Thereof.” Inscription on the Liberty Bell