We’ve noted many times the disconnect between statements by the leaders of al Qaeda that Iraq is the main front in their war against civilization, and statements by leaders of the Democratic Party that the Iraq war is a “distraction” from our “real” war against al Qaeda. It would be convenient for the Democrats if al Qaeda would abandon Iraq altogether, but so far the group has shown no inclination to do so.
Campaigning in Gary, Indiana, today, Barack Obama started to articulate what many Democrats believe to be true–or at least wish were true–i.e., that al Qaeda is not in Iraq:
Obama corrected himself with the observation that al Qaeda’s “top leadership” is not in Iraq. But this is, of course, a non sequitur. So what? Al Qaeda’s top leadership has made creating chaos in Iraq its number one priority. Was the top leadership of Nazi Germany in Normandy, or the top leadership of imperial Japan on Iwo Jima? Obama’s slip nicely reveals how the Democrats’ incoherent policy on Iraq requires them to deny, explicitly or implicitly, the reality of what is happening there.
- Subscribe now!... Get rid of ADs!Support Power Line...VIP MembershipPresentsPower Line
Most Read on Power Line
- What Color Is the Dress? What Dress?
- King v. Burwell: a discouraging mid-argument report [UPDATED] [WITH FINAL UPDATE]
- Who is Eric Hoteham? [Updated With Twitter Account]
- Another Reason Why Hillary Can't Win
- Energy Sense from an Unlikely Source
- MSM mainstays cut Clinton no slack over her email account
Subscribe to Power Line by Email
Find us on Facebook
“Arise and take our stand for freedom as in the olden time.” Winston Churchill
“Proclaim Liberty throughout All the land unto All the Inhabitants Thereof.” Inscription on the Liberty Bell