On Monday, Scott Rasmussen reported that in a telephone survey of likely voters (I assume it’s a likely voter poll, although the report doesn’t say that specifically), Mitt Romney is running even with Barack Obama, 45-45, in a preview of their possible 2012 matchup. This was, of course, before the very bad week that Obama has just experienced. It is striking that, after a mere six months in office, the ostensible political powerhouse can’t do better against last year’s Republican runner-up.
Across the country, potential Republican Presidential candidates are deciding whether to get into the 2012 race. A key factor is how likely Obama is to be re-elected. It’s ridiculously early, of course, and anything can happen. But the reality of contemporary politics dictates that anyone who wants to be a serious candidate in 2012 needs to be setting up a campaign apparatus now. And, having seen Obama in action for six months, the judgment top Republicans are making is that he is likely to be a one-termer. Thus, Presidential campaigns are quietly being assembled. The candidates can only be encouraged by poll results like the one Rasmussen reported on Monday.
- Subscribe now!... Get rid of ADs!Support Power Line...VIP MembershipPresentsPower Line
Most Read on Power Line
- The Week in Pictures: Toxic Democrats Edition
- Kamala Harris goes silent when confronted with true sex-based oppression
- An epidemic of lawlessness
- Dems Say: Stop Obsessing On Russia!
- The AP Runs Interference for Comey and Mueller [with comment by Paul]
- Charles Grassley: Chuck Schumer lied about Russia investigation
Subscribe to Power Line by Email
Find us on Facebook
“Arise and take our stand for freedom as in the olden time.” Winston Churchill
“Proclaim Liberty throughout All the land unto All the Inhabitants Thereof.” Inscription on the Liberty Bell