On our radio show yesterday we interviewed John Derbyshire, whose new book is We Are Doomed.
Derbyshire is a paleocon, a throwback to the days when conservatism was defined by skepticism about human nature, before Ronald Reagan associated conservatism with sunny optimism. (Although, as Derbyshire argues, Reagan’s optimism was more a matter of style than policy.) In his view, things are going very badly for humanity in general and conservatives in particular.
Derbyshire is an entertaining writer as well as a provocative one; rarely has doom been so enjoyable. He is also an empiricist with a scientific background, so his provocation is always based in fact. As he said on the show yesterday, “Data talks, BS walks.” We Are Doomed is well worth checking out; you have to love a book whose last chapter is titled “The Audacity of Hopelessness.”
- Subscribe now!... Get rid of ADs!Support Power Line...VIP MembershipPresentsPower Line
Most Read on Power Line
- Another reason why Hillary Clinton does not deserve to be president
- A Police-Involved Shooting In Omaha
- More evidence that the criminal justice system is too lenient
- Obama expounds the limits of Iran's anti-Semitism
- Washington Post Attacks Rubio: He's Not Rich!
- Is Hillary's Candidacy Just Another Business Deal?
Subscribe to Power Line by Email
Find us on Facebook
“Arise and take our stand for freedom as in the olden time.” Winston Churchill
“Proclaim Liberty throughout All the land unto All the Inhabitants Thereof.” Inscription on the Liberty Bell