I’ll be on the radio as usual from 11 to 1 (Central time) today. At around 11:30 Central, we will interview Politico’s James Hohmann, who has been covering the Democrats’ effort to get 216 House votes for their government takeover of health care. James was stationed outside Nancy Pelosi’s office last night and is covering the House effort again this morning. You can listen here on the web.
UPDATE: The press conference that Bart Stupak had scheduled for this morning has been postponed. Presumably that means that he and other members of his anti-abortion group have not reached a deal with Nancy Pelosi. Not sure what that means for the Democrats’ ability to get to 216; Pelosi has said that they can pass the bill with or without Stupak’s support.
MORE: James Hohmann says that the Democrats do NOT have 216 votes. By his count, she is at 206-208. Critically, James says that the “yes” votes that Pelosi has announced over the last few days are the very ones that insiders have viewed as Pelosi’s aces in the hole, the members she could force to vote for the bill in an extremity. The Dems are still twisting arms, obviously, but James thinks there is a possibility they may be forced to delay tomorrow’s vote.
STILL MORE: Byron York: “Rules Committee meeting descends into chaos.” Are the wheels coming off for the Democrats?
- Subscribe now!... Get rid of ADs!Support Power Line...VIP MembershipPresentsPower Line
Most Read on Power Line
- The Week in Pictures: Cromnibus Gruber Torture Edition
- Did Ted Cruz just pave the way for confirming a wave of Obama nominees?
- The uses and misuses of Eric Garner's death
- Conservative Muslim's opinions produce "existential worry" at University of Michigan
- Risen risin'
- Prog Rock Digression for a Lazy Saturday
Subscribe to Power Line by Email
Find us on Facebook
“Arise and take our stand for freedom as in the olden time.” Winston Churchill