Another senior liberal Democrat bit the dust today, as Wisconsin’s David Obey, Chairman of the House Appropriations Committee, announced that he will not run for re-election. Obey has been in the House since he succeeded Melvin Laird in 1969.
Obey’s retirement may offer an opportunity for the Republicans. His district, the 7th, comprises more or less the northwest quadrant of Wisconsin. It leans Democratic, but narrowly, having voted for John Kerry (51%) and Barack Obama (56%). In this season of discontent with the Democratic Party, a solid Republican candidate should have a good chance of winning the seat.
- Subscribe now!... Get rid of ADs!Support Power Line...VIP MembershipPresentsPower Line
Most Read on Power Line
- House committee document could mean trouble for anti-Trump "deep statists"
- Bombshell: Simpson Admits Fusion GPS Went to the Press to Salvage Hillary's Campaign
- Schumer Flees From Tom Cotton
- A Primer on the "Government Shutdown"
- Simpson Tried to Deceive Congress On the Fusion GPS/Obama DOJ Connection
- An Immigration Trifecta
Subscribe to Power Line by Email
Find us on Facebook
“Arise and take our stand for freedom as in the olden time.” Winston Churchill
“Proclaim Liberty throughout All the land unto All the Inhabitants Thereof.” Inscription on the Liberty Bell