Another senior liberal Democrat bit the dust today, as Wisconsin’s David Obey, Chairman of the House Appropriations Committee, announced that he will not run for re-election. Obey has been in the House since he succeeded Melvin Laird in 1969.
Obey’s retirement may offer an opportunity for the Republicans. His district, the 7th, comprises more or less the northwest quadrant of Wisconsin. It leans Democratic, but narrowly, having voted for John Kerry (51%) and Barack Obama (56%). In this season of discontent with the Democratic Party, a solid Republican candidate should have a good chance of winning the seat.
Most Read on Power Line
- The Week in Pictures: Crimea River Edition
- More Proof That Liberals Are Humorless Losers
- Exclusive to Power Line: Koch Industries Responds to New York Times Smears
- Latest News on the Climate Change Collapse
- Rand Paul: Did an Old Prejudice Rear Its Head In His CPAC Speech?
- Poll contains good news and bad news for Democrats [With Comment on Hillary By John]
Subscribe to Power Line by Email
Find us on Facebook
“Arise and take our stand for freedom as in the olden time.” Winston Churchill
“Proclaim Liberty throughout All the land unto All the Inhabitants Thereof.” Inscription on the Liberty Bell